Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Beachside Grinders


Don't you just love weekends away...? On a recent weekend trip to the coast to the pleasant north coast town of Yamba, I did as I usually do when in unfamiliar latte territory and put up my latte radar in the hope of spying a cafe that may be able to turn out a decent espresso. Having little success I decided to leave the search for the next morning.
Our hotel was beautifully situated at the other end of the surf beach which therefore meant an hours hike the next morning, involving a long stretch of beach, a scramble over rocky outcrops and a hill climb via a narrow goat track before there was any chance of my morning coffee hit. By the time we hit civilisation my fitness levels had been tested and my yearning for a rich espresso had reached a tipping point.
Having agreed with some trepidation to my travelling companion's enthusiastic suggestion of breakfast at the beachside kiosk next to the rolling waves, I had given up hope of a decent latte. But at least their blackboard sign advertised that they did serve espresso coffee so all was not lost.
My fears however quickly turned to elation as the sign slowly came in to view GRINDERS COFFEE! Here it was at the Yamba beach kiosk, one of my favorite Melbourne blends not experienced since I left the coffee capital. The intrepid nature walk had been worth it. The latte, which could have been a little stronger and with a little less foam on top, was nonetheless smooth and satisfying with that rich and full Grinders taste. All up a tasty breakfast and reasonable latte in rustic natural surrounds away from the main street bustle. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment