Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Coffee Odyssey

Well latte lovers, I am back on the caffeine airwaves having just returned from a few months abroad in the caffe latte wasteland of the Greek Isles. I have done my fair share of latte tastings whilst spending a month on the gorgeous Greek Isle of Ithaca. Believe me, I understand the lure of this picturesque place which led Homer on his epic sojourn, but if it's a decent latte you're after you'd better jump ship and cross the Adriatic to Italia and the home of Lavazza. My Greek Island coffee experiences largely involved bitter espresso topped with long-life milk. Some cafes did make an effort to whip up a decent latte with smoothly creamed milk but the flavour was always hot bitter espresso with that long-life after taste. The latte pictured here was served in a large cup. Don't be fooled by its smooth appearance. This latte was 90 % long-life milk and 10% bitter espresso.


If it's a good coffee you're after while visiting Greece, you will need to head back to Athens to the Cafe Zonars just off Syntagma Square in upmarket Kolanaki...More on this experience in a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment