Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Espresso with an 'X'


Back again in the familiar caffe latte territory of my home town after a week of family festivities on the Sunshine Coast. Alas my caffe latte experiences were as bad as my last visit. I did have my stove top espresso machine with me to fall back on but on one occasion when Mum started to wave the International Roast tin in my direction, I decided it was time to make a quick exit in search of a cafe that may be able to make a drinkable caffe latte.

Being only a couple of days after Christmas, there was very little choice as only two cafes were open. I should have seen the warning signs as I saw the sign eXpresso emblazoned on a bright banner outside the first. With courage I made my approach. This latte was much worse than I could have imagined - headless, scorched milk and with coffee dregs descending as it was placed in front of me. It was also presented in one of those wire cage frames that indent the fingers. After my first bitter sip that scorched the lips and left a sour taste, I looked to my latte companion for help. She suggested a quick exit as the only possible solution. We both understood the meaning of the 'X' in espresso as we high-tailed it out of there.

Not to be beaten we approached the only other cafe/grease bar open in town with an espresso machine. I should have asked upon ordering, however, if anyone actually used it, as this latte, presented in a handled glass, was another sad looking creation with a few milky soap suds on top. Taking my first sip, I swear I'd been duped as what lay beneath could only have been a local favourite - International Roast!!

Please note: My mother is not holding an empty mug. She likes to drink her International Roast macchiato style - short with a dash of milk.

3 comments:

  1. Mother looks resplendent. Coffe sounds disastrous! I wont begin on my coffee delights in Thailand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mother does look well after decades of her daily International Roast! Would love to hear one of your Thailand coffee experiences, either good or bad. Did you find any decent espresso?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been years since I had to succumb to an instant coffee, I would have been running for the hills the moment the International Roast made an appearance

    ReplyDelete