Saturday, October 2, 2010

Coffee Classico!



Sitting up to my morning caffe latte at the Hotel Classico where I have been staying in Bremen, Germany. This morning I am in rapture having been to Maria Farantouri's concert at St Stephani Church. It was a stupendous event and well worth crossing the seas to be there. She sang a host of Theodorakis classics and other moving ballads. She was in fine form and received standing ovations from a packed house. She is a true Greek Diva. I even got to meet her after the show. Sublime!

Coincidentally the Hotel Classico where I am staying in Bremen is owned by a Greek man who has decorated the rooms and restaurant, where I am having my morning latte, in Greek themes. My room is the Saloniki room and is adorned with photos from the owner's beloved homeland. The restaurant has an up-market Greek kitsch feel with Greek columns and large gold framed mirrors and classical Greek wall murals. So I am having a very Greek-German cross-cultural experience!

And the latte...well that sort of fits in as well. As you can see from the image, it is certainly as tall as a Greek pillar and its multi-layers are also reminiscent of the stone segments of the pillars of the ancient Greek temples. I've learned that if you give this creation a stir, you can then taste the espresso which is reasonably palatable and certainly beats the macchiato latte.

So my stay here in Bremen has had the perfect blend. Greek music, Greek Divas and the Greek Pillar Latte at the Hotel Classico!

3 comments:

  1. another truly hideous and hilarious latte! Well done Deb it is so funny reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you had travelled so many miles in your pilgrimage! One minute it's New York, the next W.A., or Germany. Love reading your blog. Just wish I could have been your sherpa. Or preferably, your suitcase. I fully intend to replicate your adventures from the perspective of ice cream. Currently the Maggie Beer burnt fig and honeycomb has me by the short and curlies. Lots of love Deb! Sarah xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Great to receive your delightful comments. Good luck with your ice cream adventures. Yes the Maggie Beer fig and honeycomb certainly grabs the taste buds and will be one worth trying. Love Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete