Monday, October 4, 2010

Kaffee in Koblenz

The macchiato latte just won't leave me alone. I can't seem to escape it. It has heard all the disparaging comments I have made and is seeking revenge. I arrived in Koblenz, a picturesque town where the Rhine meets the Moselle River. This time I had done my research and had narrowed my caffe latte search down to two reputable establishments. So with notes and maps in hand I ventured into the old town and began my search. The first I came upon was the bewitching old coffee house Kaffeewirtschaft, established in 1911. Now I thought somewhere that has been turning out coffee for a century should know how to make a decent caffe latte.
I sat down under the enticing, stone arches and with some hope placed my order, "Caffe Latte bitte?". But then, to my horror, the waitress nodded, "Yes, a macchiato latte". And there it came the huge glass of steaming milk with a tinge of brown clinging to the sides. I instantly ordered another espresso which gave it a bit more colour. Even so the coffee was bitter and dreggy and the milk was like off-tasting soap suds. I wondered what my next caffe latte experience would be like if this is what a century old Kaffee (coffee) institution was turning out. Will I ever be free of the menace of the macchiato latte?!

No comments:

Post a Comment