Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Coffee Rocks!




Taking a Sunday morning hike along the glorious coastline of the Yuragir National Park near Yamba in Northern NSW, I began to notice a thick, rich espresso like fluid that seeped from underground springs and then flowed magically over smooth rock. The result was a coastline of divine coffee-coloured rock. A sign in the park then informed me that, not surprisingly, the name given to this espresso coloured rock is "Coffee Rock".
Like most ventures into nature, this leisurely hike was not without its dramas. Our peaceful amble along the walking track was suddenly interrupted by what sounded like the terrifying pounding of approaching hooves. In a cloud of dust we came face to face with two huge, startled kangaroos.

Needless to say by the time we got back to civilisation after a morning immersed in natural images of swirling espresso and close encounters with kangaroos I was ready for a soothing caffe latte. I spied a Segafredo sign in the main street and thought I'd see if the locals could do better than my disastrous German Segafredo experience.
The caffe latte that was served up looked respectable enough although it was served in an unusual glass that tapered in at the base. The espresso itself was bitter and the latte overall lacked that rich flavour I was yearning for and was no match for the natural espresso I'd seen oozing from the tantalising Coffee Rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment