Wednesday, October 6, 2010

marshmallows and macchiatos in Mainz



I saw the culprit at breakfast this morning at my hotel in Mainz - the long life milk carton sitting next to the instant coffee jar. This would explain the strange taste of the lattes I have endured. I have arrived in Mainz after a most enjoyable boat cruise along the Rhine River from Koblenz. After my bad coffee experience at breakfast I was well and truly ready for a shot of espresso so I hit the pavements. I wandered down to the picturesque old town of Mainz and came upon it - a Lavazza coffee sign over a small espresso bar. In I went and perched up on a stool and perused the coffee selections. There it was again. It was either a small macchiato or yes, a macchiato latte. Ha! I wasn't going to be fooled this time.
I ordered the small variety and thought well at least I will get a shot of Lavazza espresso. The macchiato came in a cute Lavazza glass and was just what I needed, if a little bitter. Dogs are everywhere in Germany and here was no exception. There were two giant Golden Retrievers spread out and snoozing taking up much of the floor space!
Being in no hurry I did some further surveillance and noted that the latte glasses on top of the coffee machine were not as huge as those I'd encountered so yes dear reader, I was drawn again to try the macchiato latte!
The picture says it all. This was another example of the Marshmallow Latte. I note the coffee is always poured from a metal jug and added to the milk and the result...A mountainous eruption of foaming milk over the top of the glass that clings to the nose and upper lip and a small layer of bitter espresso beneath. Well I am beaten. The macchiato latte had seduced me yet again and I was the one who came off second best. Never Again!
I fly back to Australia tomorrow. Needless to say, a decent caffe latte will be high on my list of priorities!

4 comments:

  1. I'll buy you a delicious Merlo from Dragonfly when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered a macchiato in Nimbin a few weeks ago for my partner and the barrista, how dare she call herself that, had no idea what I was talking about so I gave detailed instructions. The result: a long black with a dash of milk. You should have seen the looks! Wish I'd read your Yamba blog before going there last weekend. Now I want to go back! The quest for the perfect coffee.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear VTM,
    I have been dreaming of Dragonfly Merlo Lattes during my 2 weeks in latte exile. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana,
    Thanks for your comments. Interesting to read of your Nimbin experience. I have had some interesting latte experiences in Nimbin myself which will be the subject of a future blog. Now you have another reason to return to Yamba...

    ReplyDelete